Specialist High Skills Major
Student Success is about meeting the individual learning needs of each and every student. Schools are providing students with more opportunities to customize their high school experience and build on their strengths and interests through a variety of new and enhanced learning options. One of those options is the Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM).
How does a SHSM benefit student?
- An SHSM allows students to experience a range of customized learning opportunities in an area that interests them and helps to engage them in their school program.
- An SHSM program gives students the opportunity to explore, identify, and refine career goals and make informed decisions related to post-secondary education or training and the next steps towards a career.
- An SHSM helps students gain confidence in their ability to succeed, and see the connections between their studies, the world beyond high school, and their future careers.
- The experiential learning opportunities provided in an SHSM enable students to develop Essential Skills and work habits that are required in the sector and have their performance of those skills and work habits assessed and documented, using tools connected with the Ontario Skills Passport.
- Through an SHSM, students begin to establish relationships and networks in their chosen field.
- Students who have earned an SHSM can provide evidence of their achievement of the required components (e.g., sector-recognized certifications and training programs) to prospective employers and post-secondary education or training institutions
The program allows you to specialize in this field. It also allows you to find out if this is the right path for you. If it is not, you can opt-out and continue with a regular program. If you are thinking about a career in the Health and Wellness Sector - our SHSM may be for you. For more information contact Sacred Heart High School Walkerton or St. Mary's High School Owen Sound.