Multilingual Language Learners
The Bruce-Grey Catholic District School Board welcomes all new families to our Catholic community. BGCDSB aims to provide all English Language Learners opportunities to successfully develop their skills in English, while learning the curriculum in all grades.
English as a Second Language (ESL) program provides support for students born in Canada or newcomers whose first language is other than English or is a variety of English significantly different from that used for instruction in Ontario schools.
English Literacy Development (ELD) programs are for newcomer students whose first language is other than English or is a variety of English significantly different from that used for instruction in Ontario schools. Students in these programs are generally from countries in which their access to education has been limited, or where they may have had limited opportunities to develop language and literacy skills in any language.
Students accessing English as a Second Language (ESL) and English Literacy Development (ELD) programming will be placed in age/grade appropriate classrooms. Support for language acquisition will take place in the classroom by the student’s classroom teacher, and with the support of the school-based ELL team.
Pathway and transition planning for our English Language Learners is a priority at the Bruce Grey Catholic District School Board. We want to ensure that all students have the support and guidance necessary to make informed career and life planning decisions.
Community & Resource Supports
Bruce-Grey Catholic District School Board Website - Translation Feature: Our website has a built-in translation feature for your convenience.
Please note that while these tools provide assistance, we cannot guarantee their accuracy, quality, or comprehensiveness. It is recommended that students, parents, and families explore the following resources as needed:
- Navigate to the bottom of the website
- Find and click on the button Select Language
- From the provided drop-down menu, choose your preferred language.
Once selected, all content on the webpage will be displayed in your chosen language.
There are also translation options built into some of the tools that we use:
Instructions for Translating a Google Document:
- Begin by accessing your desired Google Document on your computer.
- From the main menu at the top, select "Tools".
- From the dropdown menu, choose "Translate document".
- Provide a title for the new translated document and pick your desired language from the list.
- Click on the "Translate" button.
Once done, a newly translated version of your document will pop up in a separate window. This translated document will also be saved in your Google Drive for future reference.
- Start or join a Google Meet Session
- Turn on Captions using the captions button at the bottom of your screen (CC)
- Hover your mouse over the lower-third of the screen and click English that appears on the right hand side
- Enable the Translate Captions feature
- Select your langauge from the dropdown window
- Close the settings window
- Turn on closed captions by clicking on the CC button at the bottom of the video
- Cick the Settings button next to the CC button
- Next to Subtitles, click on the language that appears
- Choose Auto-Translate
- Select your prefered language from the drop down list that appears