As a Roman Catholic, it is your right to direct your property tax support to the Catholic education system. Without the support of local ratepayers, Catholic education may become non-existent.
What you are supporting?
- Teaching of values our students can take with them through life
- The continuance and enhancement of Catholic education
- Safe, caring, and supportive environments that allow students to express their faith
- Development of responsible, creative, and contributing members of society
What is at stake?
11 elementary schools and 2 secondary schools
Why is your support important?
Catholic ratepayers need to declare their support in order to develop an accurate assessment base. This assessment base serves the following functions:
It is a public record of the extent of support for our Catholic schools, providing the government with an indication of the overall support and strength of a publicly funded Catholic school system;
It is used to determine the number of trustees to be elected to each board to represent the interests of parents and other ratepayers;
It supports board population projections, which affect funding for new pupil places.
Ontario municipal elections are held every four ( 4 ) years in the month of October. During these elections, school trustees are elected as well. In order to vote for a Catholic school trustee, you must be registered as a Catholic school supporter.
The next municipal elections will take in 2018.
Planning on moving? Moved recently?
If so, please pay attention to the following:
When you move, your Catholic school support does not follow you. As soon as any change is made to your address, your school support designation reverts to Public. Unless you update this information, you will not be able to take part in Catholic trustee elections.
To make a change/correction:
First, inform the school of your new address and the date of your move. This will verify your new address is located within the school's boundaries, and updates your child's student record.
Next, complete and sign the Application for Direction of School Support form which redirects your school support back to Catholic.
For further assistance, contact your school.
If any additional forms are required, the Board Office will forward them to you.
Your continued support is greatly appreciated!
NEW! you can visit voterlookup.ca to complete school support changes for electoral purposes, or add a name(s) to an existing address.
Benefits of Catholic Education
Committed to a vibrant Catholic education, we ensure quality learning experiences through community partnerships that nurture each student in body, mind and spirit and embrace the teachings of Christ, giving witness to Gospel values.
The Catholic education system is dedicated to instilling values in our students within a safe, caring and supportive environment. Catholic schools provide students with an opportunity to express their faith.
Ontario Catholic School Graduates are Expected to be:
· Discerning believers formed in the Catholic Faith community who celebrate the signs and sacred mystery of God's presence through word, sacrament, prayer, forgiveness, reflection and moral living.
· Effective communicators who speak, write and listen honestly and sensitively, responding critically in light of Gospel values.
· Reflective, creative and holistic thinkers who solve problems and make responsible decisions with an informed moral conscience for the common good.
· Self-directed, responsible, lifelong learners who develop and demonstrate their God-given potential.
· Collaborative contributors who find meaning, dignity and vocation in work which respects the rights of all and contributes to the common good.
· Caring family members who attend to family, school, parish, and the wider community.
· Responsible citizens who give witness to Catholic social teaching by promoting peace, justice and the sacredness of human life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can be a Catholic School Supporter?
In Ontario, only Roman Catholics who own or rent property are legally entitled to direct their property school support to the English-Separate school system.
How can a Catholic become a Catholic School Supporter?
You can contact your local board office and we will send you an "Application for Direction of School Support" form or you can download one from this site. Other forms may be necessary, and will be supplied by the Board Office. Once you have signed and returned the form(s), we will file it with the appropriate assessment office.
How do I find out if I am registered as an English- Catholic supporter?
- Contact the Catholic Education Centre at (519) 364-5820 and we can look up the information for you.
- Check your Request for Enumeration Information Card you received in the mail. Make sure the column titled "Roman Catholic" is checked ‘Yes'. Under the "School Board Support" column, make sure you have checked the ‘English-Catholic' box.
- Check your Property Assessment Notice to make sure it states ‘English-Catholic' under the "School Support Designation" area.
We don't have any children. Is there a need to direct our support?
Yes. Education taxes are paid whether you have children or not. If you do not direct your support, you are automatically considered a Public supporter. Supporting the Catholic education system allows you to take part in running/voting for Catholic school trustee during municipal elections.
We jointly own/rent property, but one of us is not Catholic. Can we still be Separate School supporters?
Yes. In order to be Catholic School supporters you must complete the Catholic School Assessment Lease form. This form allows the Catholic to direct the school support to the Catholic School Board.
Can non-Catholics become Separate School supporters?
No. Ontario legislation gives only Catholics the option to be Catholic School supporters.
I am not Catholic but I am sole owner of the property. My spouse, however, is Catholic. Can we direct our support to Catholic schools?
Yes. To do so, complete a Catholic School Lease form which allows the Catholic spouse to direct the school support to the Catholic School Board. This makes the Catholic spouse the tenant for school support purposes only.
Our children attend a Catholic elementary school, but one will be attending Public high school in the Fall. Are we still able to continue supporting Catholic schools?
Yes. If you were already a Catholic School supporter, your support will continue to be with the Catholic system. School support is linked only to the attendance rights for elementary education.
Is it necessary for me to designate myself as a Catholic School supporter each time I change my place of residence?
Yes. You must declare yourself a Catholic and a Catholic School supporter each time you move. Direction of school support only applies to the residence at which you live when you declared your support.
Why is my support important?
- It is a public record of the extent of support for Catholic schools;
- It is used to determine the number of trustees to be elected to each board to represent the interests of parents and other ratepayers;
- It supports board population projections, which affect funding for new pupil places;
- Should authority to tax be returned to local school boards in the future, a complete assessment base will be critical.
As a supporter, what is in it for me?
- Voting/Election rights. As an English-Catholic supporter you are able to vote or run for trustee. You must simply indicate you are an English-Catholic school supporter on your enumeration form when you receive it.
- Record of support for Catholic schools. Directing your support to the Catholic system shows the government that 1) you support your local Catholic schools; 2) you want to see the existence of Catholic schools continue; and 3) you want to ensure your Catholic schools are provided with equitable resources.
- Trustee representation. The amount of support is used to determine the number of trustees to be elected to represent you and your interests.
Why should I direct my support to the Catholic education system?
It is your right to direct your school support to the Catholic system. The Catholic education system is dedicated to instilling values in our students, within a safe, caring and supportive environment. Our schools provide students with an opportunity to express their faith. It is our duty to assist students in becoming effective communicators, discerning believers, collaborative contributors, caring family members, and responsible citizens.
Application for Direction of School Support
Allows Roman Catholic ratepayers to declare themselves as a Catholic school supporter/elector.
Catholic School Assessment Lease
If one homeowner or one tenant is a non-Catholic, then complete the above lease form, as well as the Application for Direction of School Support form. The lease form gives the Catholic the right to direct property taxes to the Catholic schools.
If you still have unanswered questions regarding Catholic School Tax Support, please contact Paula Fahrer at the Catholic Education Centre, 519-364-5820, X239.